Access your 1098-T: HERE 

Note: Only the student's login credentials may access this tax form.  All authorized user account credentials are not eligible regardless of where the funding that paid towards a student account originated.  Of course a student may share their form with a parent, guardian, or tax preparer at their discretion. 

Upon clicking the above link, the most recent year's form that has been processed for your account displays automatically. Any available prior year forms will have clickable links at the bottom of that same page.  Current year forms are not available until January 31 of each year. 

For your protection, the form will only display the last four digits of your SSN, ITIN, or ATIN (for example: XXX-XX-1234). However, the complete identification number will be reported to the IRS.

If you no longer have working login credentials, or have separated from the university and still need a 1098-T form, you may still access the above linked retrieval page after completing the identity verification process at identity.umd.edu/id/formerstudent or by contacting the IT Service Desk at 301.405.1500


Form W9-S

If you notice that your Form 1098-T does not display your correct SSN, ITIN, ATIN, or is blank, please complete Form W-9S and  upload it to the document loading page specific to only W9-S forms HERE

If we are unable to verify your identification number, you will be notified by us to complete Form W-9S to verify that we are providing the correct information to the IRS. 

Forms submitted after the University holiday break closure  each December will not be processed for that years 1098-T tax form completion, and will not take effect until the following tax reportable year's form.  


View ALL transactions for Calendar Year

To view your student account transaction details, log into Student Account Inquiry  It is advised to view, download and/or print your transactions before that date.

Former students will have to go to the Applicants & Former Students page to log in. Then come back and click the next link to view the Student Account Inquiry.

Understanding Form 1098-T

Please read the Instructions for Student on IRS Form 1098-T and visit the Additional Resources area below to help you understand your form.

For prior tax years,  any 1098-T you received from UMD included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) that we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year. 

Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970, page 9.)

The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

Tax Information for Higher Education Emergency Relief Funding (HEERF)

Any recipient of HEERF funding may find additional information regarding the taxability of those funds on the IRS fact sheet found HERE

Tax Information for Fellows

The Graduate School has a page regarding the disbursement and reporting of Fellowship awards: Tax Information for Fellows

Although domestic student stipends are awarded through Financial Aid and appear on the Student Account, if you are not enrolled in any courses during the calendar year, you will not receive a 1098-T. Please refer to your monthly billing statements when preparing your tax return or filing estimated tax payments.

Tax Relief Act Information Sheets

In accordance with requirements of the Tax Relief Act of 1997, the following documents are intended to provide you with information to assist you in determining your eligibility for possible American Opportunity Credit (formerly Hope Credit) or the Lifetime Learning Credit. If you would like to review your student account showing all charges and credits for the current calendar year, please go to: Student Account Inquiry.


Request a Paper Statement

Former Students may request a "former student" login which will allow access the 1098-T: HERE

If you are unable to obtain your 1098-T electronically, a paper statement can be provided to you. You must send an email to billtalk@umd.edu with the Subject line: "Request paper 1098-T". The body of the email must include your full name and UID (Do not email your SSN). A paper statement will be mailed to the address on record. If you have moved, be sure to update your address with the university BEFORE you request a paper statement. Your request for a paper copy is for the current statement only.

To Request a Paper Statement Send Email:
To: billtalk@umd.edu
Subject Line: Request paper 1098-T
Message Body: Full Name & UID

Form Availability

Current 1098-T tax forms will be available through October 15 (or the next business day if it falls on a weekend) per IRS regulations. Although not required nor guaranteed, the current form and past year's forms may be available for a longer period (space permitting).

Additional Resources

The following are from the IRS.gov web site.