Third Party/Sponsored Billing

Third Party/Sponsored Billing is when a private or government agency is paying any portion of your tuition or fees AND they are requesting a direct bill from the University. Invoices to the third party payer cannot be generated until after we have received payment authorization paperwork from the sponsor/employer. Also please note these types of payments do not include loans. For information on private loans please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid

Some government agencies use special forms such as SF-182s while some private organizations use an authorized letter on letterhead explaining what they are willing to pay.  Regardless of the format, all contracts or letters MUST include the following information in order to be processed:

  • Student's name
  • Student's account number (9-digit University ID)
  • Specific charges and semesters the sponsor will pay
  • Billing address required
  • Name, signature and contact information of person authorizing the contract
  • Purchase order and contact information of person authorizing the contract
  • Purchase order number (for government contracts)

For timely posting of credits to the student account, billing authorization documents need to be received at least 12 business days prior to the billing  due date for each term:

By September 4th (Fall semester)

By February 4th (Spring semester)

* NOTE: After receipt of documentation, a credit usually appears on the student account within the next several business days. This credit does not mean that Student Financial Services and Cashiering has received payment on your behalf. The credit will be reversed if the University of Maryland does not receive payment from the company/agency within 60 days from the billing date and the student will be responsible for the charges on their student account.

Submitting Contracts 

We can receive documents through the following options:  (preferred method is email) 



301.314.7067 Note: the fax is only on weekdays 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

In Person:

1135 Lee Building (Drop off documents only)


University of Maryland 

Student Financial Services and Cashiering

1109 Lee Building

7809 Regents Drive

College Park, MD 20742

Attn: Third Party Billing


For questions you may contact us at or via phone: 301.405.9040 or 301.405.8520